- Leave the sugar, salt, lentils and rice to soak in water overnight.
- Blend into a thick creamy batter consistency.
- To make the filling, preheat the oil in a frying pan, then add the mustard seeds and wait until they start popping.
- Add the curry leaves, then add the onion and gently sauté until translucent. Then, put the ginger, green chilli and turmeric in and cook for 3 minutes. Stir the grated potato and cook for a further 8-10 minutes. Season with salt and lemon juice and then set the filling aside.
- When ready to make the dosa, heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Pour one ladle of the dosa batter into the centre of the pan and spread in a circular motion using the back of the ladle. If the dosa is too thin it will burn. Drizzle with vegetable oil once the batter is evenly spread.
- Leave the batter to brown until the outer edges begin to look dry, which should take about 2 minutes. Loosen the dosa with a spatula; the underside should be crisp and slightly browned.
- Spoon half of the filling into a line in the centre of the un-browned side and fold the sides of the dosa around the filling to create a cylindrical shape. Repeat for the second dosa, serve with fresh coriander, garnish with the fruit and enjoy!
Credit: Dev Biswal from The Ambrette restaurant in Kent.