- Bring the vegetable stock to the boil. In the meantime, place a large frying pan on a medium high heat. Add the pine nuts and toast for a few minutes until lightly browned, tossing occasionally. Remove from the pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Return the pan to the heat. Add the chopped mushrooms and dry-fry, stirring occasionally, until they have released liquid and begun to brown. Remove from the pan and add to the bowl with the pine nuts.
- Add the vegetable oil to the pan and turn up the heat to high. Add the rice and stir to coat thoroughly with the oil. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the onions and continue to cook until the onions have softened and turned translucent. Add the pine nuts, mushrooms and spices and remove from the heat.
- Carefully add the rice mixture to the saucepan with the stock along with 2 tsp of salt and a pinch of ground black pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat, and cover the pan. Cook for around 40 minutes or until the rice is tender. Remove from the heat and leave to stand for 10 minutes. While the rice is standing, bring another pan of water to the boil then add the white wine vinegar. Once the water has boiled again, turn down to a gentle simmer and carefully crack in the four eggs. Cook the eggs in the simmering water for 3.5 minutes, then remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and allow to drain on some paper towel.
- To serve, stir the watercress, rocket, lemon juice, chilli, spring onion and butter into the brown rice, adding seasoning to taste. Split evenly between four serving bowls and top each with a poached egg, finishing with a sprinkling of sea salt and black pepper. Serve immediately.
Recipe: Chef Keri Astill-Frew
For more recipes visit www.watercress.co.uk