- If using an ice-cream maker, place the bowl in the freezer ahead of time.
- Purée the beetroot with a blender until smooth, then set aside. Place a small saucepan over a medium heat, then combine the sugar and water, stirring occasionally until completely dissolved. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- In a food processor, blend the cooled sugar syrup with the puréed beetroot, lemon juice and vanilla until smooth.
- If using an ice-cream maker, pour the cooled mixture into the pre-frozen bowl of the ice-cream maker and churn until thick, then either serve immediately or store in the freezer.
- If not using an ice-cream maker, pour the cooled mixture into a large freezer-safe dish and freeze, mixing it well with a fork every half an hour over the next 4 hours. Transfer to the fridge for 15 minutes to soften before serving.
Packed with essential vitamins and minerals, beetroot can help to boost exercise performance and strengthen the immune system.