Tips to Support Your Immune System
It is a reality that today’s world is not really conducive to giving our bodies what we need to keep well. And the immune system is what keeps us well, it’s protecting us, silently working hard all day every day – we don’t even realise it.
There is no cure for the coronavirus (COVID-19), but what we do know is that to fight a virus, if there is not a specific anti-viral or a vaccination for it – you have to rely on your immune system, because this is all that we have.
Leading immunologist Dr Jenna Macciochi specialises in understanding how nutrition and lifestyle interact with the immune system in health and disease. At this critical time, it is essential to take care of your immune system.
- Quality sleep– Specialised viral fighting cells called Natural Killer cells are one of our first lines of defence against the cold and flu. Just one bad night’s sleep can make the numbers of the cells plummet by 70%
- Eat well – More than 70% of our immune system is located in the gut, make sure you are getting good plant diversity and fibre
- Less stress – Stress is one of the major contributors to an unbalanced immune system and susceptibility to infections. It’s important to try and reduce as much as you can through breathing techniques or just taking a moment to have a good culpa
- Vitamin C– When infection hits, our bodies demand for vitamin C goes up. Research shows that supplementing with mega-doses when catching a cold can help speed up recover
- Vitamin D– In the winter, we don’t get enough sunlight for our skin to produce sufficient vitamin D so it’s a good idea to take extra to help our immune system
- Zinc – Zinc is involved in supporting over 300 enzyme reactions which are involved in our immune system. According to recent research, short term use of high dose zinc can help immune defences fight a cold faster.
- Take a supplement. In order to build your immune system as much as possible, a wholistic approach is always best covering all the bases. In times of need, a dose of max strength vitamins from Tonic Health – a super high strength vitamin supplement which can help to boost general immunity, and also contains 50% more Vitamin C, D and Zinc than comparable products on the market. It contains all-natural and has added plant extracts to support immunity.
Don’t forget to:
- Wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
- Always wash your hands when you get home or into work
- Use hand sanitiser gel (alcohol 60%+) if soap and water are not available
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- Put used tissues in the bin straight away and wash your hands afterwards
- Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
This article was provided by Tonic Health.
You can find more healthy eating related articles here!